Sunday 6 March 2016

Thankful for Those who have Cared for and Nurtured me

My mother


As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
- John F. Kennedy

As it is Mother’s Day it seems appropriate to be thankful for mothers and mother-figures in our lives. I am thinking too of those special people who care for someone who is ill or disabled. It isn’t easy. It can be costly at a personal level.

Mothers are not perfect; they are all the whole range of human personalities, but they gave us, along with our fathers, the gift of life. Our mothers, foster mothers, care-givers, grandmothers, gave us love, nurtured us in the best way they could and taught us many things along the way.

Sometimes it is years later we realise how much they gave us. Even the things which at the time seemed difficult we later realise held hidden gifts.

Like many worthwhile things in life being a mother, giving love as a carer, is not always easy. It mainly goes unrecognised. Today in spite of the razzmatazz and commercial opportunities which spill over into Mother’s Day I am thankful for my mother and all she gave to me and for the joy of being a mother. For all the love I have been given and which I will try to pass on to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment