Saturday 5 March 2016

Beauty in the World

White Lily



“A feeling is not a true reflection of life. It is like looking in a mirror and only noticing a spot and not the beautiful colour of your hair, or looking at a painting and seeing only the dark spaces and not the breadth of the beautiful landscape where the darkness only serves to highlight the light and luminescence.” Alice Sommer Herz – Everything is a Present. Holocaust Survivor

Living in the countryside I have become particularly aware of the changing seasons of the year. In spring I look forward to seeing the snowdrops come out followed by crocuses and other spring flowers. They are reminders that the warmer weather is on its way and longer days. Each flower is distinct, the colours, the petals. Many artists were garden lovers – Monet, Matisse, Renoir, Sargent, Van Gogh, Klimt and images of their paintings can be found on-line. Poets too have celebrated the beauty of nature – Wordsworth being a famous example!

Today: I notice the beauty around me; in my room and outside. Pictures on the wall, in books, magazines and on-line. The shape of trees, the colour of clouds, the inner beauty of each member of my family and friends. I am thankful that there is so much beauty in the world.

There is a talk and beautiful, inspiring video on nature and gratitude on TED talks -  https://www.ted.com/talks/louie_schwartzberg_nature_beauty_gratitude

I remember others who because of ill health or disability may have limited ability to see or hear the beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment